Despite protests in Turkey causing diplomatic tension with the European Union, elections in Iraqand brewing unrest in Egypt, Syria continues to be the headline grabber. The reason is the Syrian civil war is dangerously close to becoming regional even as GLOBAL players line up “just in case.”
- A rocket was launched into a Beirut, Lebanon, neighborhood
- A shell from Syria strayed into Israel.
- Jordan, afraid of spillover, asked the United States to leave 900 troops after an military exercise.
- The United Nations said it will likely grow the “peacekeeping” force in the Golan Heights, adding not only soldiers but heavy weaponry.
- As reported in the past two weeks, Russia continues to try to get a foothold in the region even as it chastises the U.S. and Europe for getting involved.
In what is probably a sign of the growing tension in Israel, a security guard at the Western Wall shot and killed an Jewish visitor to the holy site. The guard says he heard the man shout “Allah is greater” in Arabic and saw him reach into his pockets.
Let us remember to pray for the persecuted church.
- A nun reported that Syrian rebels beheaded a Christian and left his body for dogs.
- Christians in the region to continue to pray for the safe return of two Syrian bishops kidnapped in April.
Paper.li works a little like a newspaper. It categorizes the news into topics and is interactive. Click a topic on the right-hand column to “flip the page” and see another set of headlines. #Church includes headlines about persecution of the brothers. #Israel as all stories about “the apple of God’s eye.” #Matthew24 highlight end-time birth pangs detailed by Jesus.