God says in Hosea 4:6 that his people die because they lack knowledge. Knowing world events clues us in to where we are on the Biblical, prophetic time line. News should prompt us to pray for two things: that the eyes of the lost and deceived are opened to God’s love as expressed through the life and death and life of Yeshua and that God’s Kingdom come on earth.
Why so much Israel news? God always meant Israel to be an example to the nations, an example of His righteousness, His justice, His mercy, His love. She is also a signpost. Consider this. Zion, God’s other name of Jerusalem, means “signpost.” Messiah draws nigh. The events in Zion speak to that.
While the links posted here are mostly news items, some may be lighter and include websites and stories that caught my interest. To get news links in real time or to read my editorial commentary, visit my Twitter feed @RoamingChile or on my Facebook page.
This was a HUGE news week, with the release of Israeli POW Gilad Schalit and the death of Libyan dictator Moammar Gahdafi. But it was a down week for me, as I traveled to holiday with my friends in Cardiff, to rest a bit before digging back into tracking the news. But news cycles never follow holidays. I was one day into my vacation from the Albuquerque Journal when 9-11 happened. I have to learn to keep my guard up.
This is a stripped down roundup because I’ve been on holiday. I hope to be better next week.
One more mention. Pray for China. The callous death of the run-over toddler has their nation looking inward. A perfect time for the Holy Spirit to move in, convict and then show the mercy of Messiah Yeshua.
Sunday, October 16
- Gilad Shalit ransom: 1027 to 1. Here is video of crime of 1 to-be-released Palestinian. WARNING: Graphic. (Arurtz7)
Video: Ramallah Lynch Butcher to be Freed
The government is freeing the terrorist who gleefully waved his bloody hands after the lynch of two soldiers. WARNING: Not for children.
- Emergency Committee for Israel compiles video clips of anti-Semitic rhetoric at Occupy Wall Street protests
Some of rhetoric at Occupy Wall Street protests starting to sound like 1930s Germany. ‘Let’s blame the Jews’ (YNet)
Anti-Semitism tainting Occupy Wall Street protests
News: ‘Emergency Committee for Israel’ publishes clip in which Jews are attacked and blamed for financial crisis and assistance to Israel
- 9,000 Christians from around world in Israel for Tabernacles. 3,000 Israeli Messianic Jews joined them at prayer (JPost)
Pilgrims gather for Feast of Tabernacles
Thousands of Evangelical Christians have arrived in Israel from all over the world for the 32 annual Succot celebrations.
Monday, October 17
- Sept was especially busy month in the persecution of Christians in the Muslim world (Hudson NY)
Muslim Persecution of Christians
An especially busy month in the persecution of Christians in the Muslim world, September also witnessed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton release the Annual Report on International Religious Freedom. Ironically, aside from Iran and Sudan, none of the
- A taxpayer’s response to the Occupy Wall Street protests. (TheTheologiansCafe)
I am the 53%
There is a movement in this country called the “other 99%” and they are protesting the “1%” that they think rule the country. In response, there has been a movement called “I am the 53%.”
Tuesday, October 18
- Israeli POW Gilad Shalit is home
Captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit returned home Tuesday looking pale and rail thin to a country bracing itself for fallout from a prisoner swap that has emboldened the militant Palestinian faction Hamas.
- Palestinians celebrate, chant “The people want a new Schalit”, calling for more abductions to free more prisoners. (JPost)
West Bank residents celebrate Schalit prisoner releases
Families wave Hamas, Fatah flags, chant The people want a new Schalit; hundreds celebrate in Umm el-Fahm, e. Jlem.
Thursday, October 20
- Moammar Gadhafi dead, killed by Libyan rebels
Gadhafi’s grisly final moments were captured on a grainy cell phone video that shows the former Libyan leader surrounded by a frenzied mob of rebels. Men are seen grabbing at him, propping him up, and pummeling him while he can be seen dazed, attempting speech and bleeding profusely.
Friday, October 21
- A touching tribute video chronicling Gilad Shalit’s return home (MidEastTruth) #israel
- Hezbollah chief threatens Tel Aviv (Haaretz) #israel #lebanon
Saturday, October 22
- Analysts say UN Security Council changes won’t benefit, Palestine so PA should push for vote next month (JPost)
UNSC replacements might hurt Palestinian statehood bid
Supporters of bid Lebanon, Gabon, Brazil, Nigeria to be replaced; new member may abstain, UN analyst says in Businessweek report.
- GADDAFI IS DEAD: Iran seeking to exploit chaos. Church should move quickly to reach Libyans w gospel. (JoelCRosenberg)
LIBYAN DICTATOR GADDAFI IS DEAD: Iran seeking to exploit the chaos. The Church should move quickly t
>> The Tehran Initiative — read first chapter; see interview schedule for next few days >> Clinton: Pakistan must boost anti-terror fight UPDATED: Reuters is now confirming that Mu…
Food for thought as US elections approach. “Civil government exists by God’s command.” (KHouse)
The Bible and Politics – eNews for October 18, 2011
Digest powered by RSS Digest